A friend asked to commission a baby blanket of Boba Fett, which I was more than happy to do. I loved the pattern she had found on Ahooka’Migurumi. It was designed for tapestry technique though which would result in a square for a larger blanket. I looked online for further inspiration and found a great design made from small granny squares.
I’ve tried to hunt it back down, but it’s lost to the trash-heap that is Pinterest. I can find a post which leads to an ad-site; if I image-search I find even worse results. If anyone can point me in the right direction, please drop me a line on the socials.
My decision to do granny squares was thinking it would be
easier for making on the move. I thought it would be less hassle than a C2C
(corner to corner), which were very popular at the time.
I was wrong.
I hadn’t anticipated how many squares or how long it would take. I worked on it day and night around full-time job. It went with me on the train, on the bus, at my desk at lunch, on weekends. Just making square after square after square.
(5 minute read)
|Commuting to work making crochet squares|
|Prepping squares when at home for later|
|The collection of squares growing steadily|
So many squares.
I used Spotlight Marvel acrylic 8ply yarn. This was to keep the cost of the blanket down, plus I already had many of the colours in my stash. Though I had to buy more purple and green yarn as there ended up being more than I anticipated.
I’m not sure what pattern I used for the squares, as this was coming up to 2 years ago. I do remember keeping all the tails attached to use to join the squares together. This was both a blessing and a curse, because waiting to join them together at the end meant multiple full days of sewing.
I cannot express the quantity of squares this was. I had a handy little crate to store them in until I was ready to start joining.
|Keeping organised to track the number of squares required|
Once I finally had the squares ready to join, that was another massive task I had underappreciated until I started. I tried out a few options, comparing the results where I crochet them together, sewing them together across ways, and more.
I ended up doing corner to corner because it made me pay attention to the pattern, when trying to do along the row I made assumptions for what the next square would be. Going diagonal was trickier and made me pay attention.
Plus it gave a cool effect as I progressed.
|The sewing begins|
|Progressing well by starting more colours|
You can start seeing the shapes coming together in the next photos. It turned out slightly larger than I had calculated. The slight stretch you get once the pieces are joined by sewing was difficult to include in the estimates.
I had used a 3.5mm hook to make the squares, which resulted in a very tight design. I do wonder how much larger the blanket would have ended up just by changing the hook to 4.5mm I normally use with 8ply.
|Halfway point getting close, lining up the next row|
By this point it was evident the blanket would be very dense. Most baby blankets I’d made were softer and pliant, this felt perfect as a tummy-time blanket though.
It continued to amaze me as I worked through each row how many squares there were left. I was grateful by this point that I had sewn the starting tails in as I went.
This meant I was only sewing the one piece at a time, along two edges. It felt very satisfying to get to the end of each row and see the pattern coming together.
|Many squares done with many more to go|
Stacks and stacks of squares, a constant battle to keep them
organised while I worked off the pattern. I stubbornly kept the design on my
phone, rather than printing it out or using my laptop.
At long last I had attached the last of the squares though and had to decide on a boarder. I checked through my stash and found the perfect combination left over from another project: black and yellow.
It’s hard to see in the photos (hello Hogwards blanket cover), but the black was half-double crochet for two rows, then yellow in single crochet, two more rows of half-double crochet. The last finishing row was granny stitch in yellow to give a subtle pattern without being frilly.
|A fitting border for this project|
But the finished product. Wow. Absolutely worth it in the end.
As you can imagine, the time this took greatly exceeded the initial estimation. I was glad I hadn’t settled on a price at the start. The friend who requested this design was so happy with the result, but we mutually agreed that there wasn’t a price within her budget that also matched the time, energy and materials put into it.
I didn’t know what to do with it for a few months except keep it safely stashed away. I was in a weird love-hate relationship with it, as I often do with any large project. I finally pulled it out again after I moved to a new home and worked through several other projects. Suddenly I loved it again and I knew the perfect place for it.
It was the year of babies for my friends and co-workers. I had made other baby blankets for each of them, but I needed one more. Maybe it was my subconscious self, maybe it was coincidence, but they were also huge Star Wars fans. It is with a new family and well loved, which makes all those hours working on it totally worth it.
|All finished and ready for tummy time|
Extremely useful information which you have shared here about Buy Cotton Baby Blankets Online. This is a great way to enhance knowledge for us, and also beneficial for us. Thank you for sharing an article like this.ReplyDelete